The Brown Family
In 1866 John W. Brown, Jr. married Florence V. Prickett. She was born on Dec. 27, 1841.
John and Florence (Prickett) Brown had four children:
- Elmore Grant Brown, b. Oct. 10, 1867, m. Jeanette Turner on Aug. 27, 1890 in Hamilton Co., Ohio, d. Feb. 19, 1931 (see Elmore Grant Brown's death certificate).
- Eva G. Brown, b. March 1871, m. Sanford Kellum on Dec. 15, 1892 in Hamilton Co., Ohio, d. after 1947.
- Edwin Dale Brown, b. Aug. 6, 1874, m. Violet Hibberd on April 6, 1907 in Hamilton Co., Ohio (see marriage record), d. Jan. 9, 1936 (see death certificate).
- Sylvia Mae Brown, b. Sept. 19, 1883, m. Nelson Tope on June 6, 1906 in Clark Co., Ohio, d. after 1947.
By the 1870 census, John Brown, Sr. was still living in Anderson Township. His son Warren Brown, daughter-in-law Bell (Hay) Brown and grandson Thomas were living with him. It's not known at this time when John Brown, Sr. died, but there is no record of him in the 1880 census. Also, according to the 1870 census, John Brown, Jr. was living near his father in Anderson Township with his wife Florence (Prickett) Brown and their son Elmore Grant Brown. His cousin, Francis M. Brown, son of Jacob Brown, lived next to John Brown, Jr.
The 1880 census showed:
|Name||Sex||Age||Relation||Single||Married||Profession||Place of Birth||POB-Father||POB-Mother|
|John W. Brown||M||44||✓||Carpenter||Ohio||Pa?||Ohio|
|Florence V. Brown||F||38||Wife||✓||Keeping House||Ohio||Ohio||Ohio|
|Elmore G. Brown||M||12||Son||✓||Attends School||Ohio||Ohio||Ohio|
|Eva G. Brown||F||9||Daughter||✓||Attends School||Ohio||Ohio||Ohio|
|Edwin D. Brown||M||6||Son||✓||Attends School||Ohio||Ohio||Ohio|
Florence (Prickett) Brown died on Jan. 3, 1892. John W. Brown, Jr. died in 1902. They are buried in Flagg Spring Cemetery in Newtown, Hamilton Co., Ohio. John W. Brown, Jr.'s headstone is engraved as follows:
Corp'l J. W. Brown, Co. C, 79 Ohio Inf.
Here's a copy of the deed, signed on Feb. 13, 1892, in which John W. Brown agreed to purchase the burial plot for his wife from the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Flag Spring Lodge, of Newtown, Ohio. At a later date, someone must have bought more burial plots at the cemetery because John W. Brown, Florence Brown, Elmore Grant Brown, Jeanette (Turner) Brown and Edwin Brown are buried next to each other at the Flagg Spring Cemetery.
On Aug. 27, 1890, Elmore Grant Brown married Jeanette Turner who was born and raised in the east end of Cincinnati between Tusculum and Linwood. Elmore Brown was raised in Newtown and was a carpenter by trade, as were all his uncles and his father. Their first home was on Beechmont Ave. in Linwood.
Elmore and Jeanette (Turner) Brown had three children:
- Herbert Elmore Brown, b. July 5, 1892, m. Katherine Edna Maier on July 24, 1912 in Hamilton Co., Ohio.
- Erma May Brown, b. May 18, 1894, m. William Ellis Pruett on May 15, 1915, in Hartford City, Blackford Co., Indiana, d. Sept. 18, 1988 in Cincinnati, Hamilton Co., Ohio.
- Charles Harmon Brown, b. July 18, 1909, m. Suzanne K. Kuhn in 1934.
By 1915 Elmore and Jeanette Brown had moved to Garland Ave. Elmore Brown was custodian of Linwood School. Both Ralph and Thelma Pruett were born in the house on Garland Ave. Sometime around 1921 or 1922, Elmore lost his job at the school. They sold their home on Garland Ave. and invested in a candy store in the Brighton District of Cincinnati. When Central Parkway was built, the hill behind the store started slipping, so they had to evacuate the building. They moved the store to 1163 Harrison Ave., one block east of Spring Grove Ave. The store was one block from the street car barn and much of their trade came from them. The store was in two parts. One half was ice cream, candy and tobacco. The other half was Dry Goods.
Ralph Pruiett, Sr. remembered that, as a child, he would watch his Grandpa Brown make ice cream on a stick. This was long before it became a common item. He would take a big scoop of ice cream, put a wooden spoon in it, dip it in Hot Chocolate, put it on wax paper to cool, then put it in the freezer. He sold his ice cream on a stick for five cents each.
Uncle Ed, Grandpa's brother, lived with them until he died in 1929. Uncle Ed had a stiff leg. He told the kids he was kicked by a mule. They learned later that he had TB of the bone and had to have the kneecap and part of the bone removed, which was why his leg was stiff.
Elmore Grant Brown died on Feb. 19, 1931 and Grandma Brown sold the store. Shortly after selling the store on Harrison Ave., Charles Brown talked his mother into buying a store at 14th and Race Streets in the Over-the-Rhine District. After Charles got married, the store was too much work for Grandma Brown. She sold it and moved to 2456 Gilbert Ave. at Peebles Corner. Over the years, her eyesight got worse and by the time she died in 1954 she was totally blind.