The Seals Family
The 1870 census showed the following children living in the William and Cordelia (Mays) Seal household. The enumerator wrote Cordelia's name as Cornelia. He listed a child named Fleming living in the house. This was likely William B. Seal, Jr. who was born in 1862. Alton Lee Greene has indicated that William's nickname was Flim and the name Fleming would have come from Cordelia's father, Fleming Mays. The enumerator indicated that Elizabeth could read, but could not write.
|Name||Age||Sex||Profession||Real||Personal||Place of Birth||Attend School||Read/Write|
|Cornelia Seal||38||F||Keeping House||Tennessee||No|
|Elizabeth Seal||25||F||At home||Tennessee|
|Margaret Seal||23||F||At home||Tennessee|
|Rebecca Seal||20||F||At home||Tennessee|
|James Seal||18||M||Works on Farm||Tennessee||Yes|
|Thomas Seal||15||M||At home||Tennessee||Yes|
James Washington Seal, son of William Seal and Mary Vaughan was born on Sept. 2, 185o in Hancock Co., Tenn. He was the first of our line to be born in Tennessee; see Seals Family Homestead. He died on April 12, 1925 in Claiborne Co., Tenn. He first married Emily Byrd, the daughter of William E. and Susannah Byrd of Hancock Co., Tenn. Children born during this marriage were:
- Albert Clarke Seal, b. Oct. 6, 1875, m. Charlotte (Lottie) May Casler on April 22, 1900 in Council Grove, Kansas, d. March 7, 1935 in May, Okla.
- Luke (Lucas) Seal, b. Feb. 1879.
- Grant Alex Seal, b. Mar. 20, 1882 in Claiborne Co., Tenn, m. Catherine Elizabeth Ferguson (see Catherine Seals's death certificate), d. Dec. 30, 1944 in Claiborne Co., Tenn. (see death certificate)
The marriage of James W. and Emily Seal appears to have had its ups and downs. The 1880 census showed James W. Seales and his son, Clarke, living with James's father, William Seales, and stepmother, Deala (Cordelia) Seales. It's not known where Emily Seal and son, Luke, were living at that time. By 1885, James W. and Emily Seal had permanently separated. It appears that Emily (Byrd) Seal married James Howerton of Hawkins Co., Tenn. around 1889 and moved to Arkansas. The 1900 census showed that Lucas Seal, age 21, was living with James and Emily Howerton in Lawrence Co., Ark.
|Name||Sex||Age||Relation||Single||Married||Profession||Place of Birth||POB-Father||POB-Mother|
|Deala [Cordelia] Seales||F||48||Wife||✓||Keeping house||Tenn||Va||Tenn|
|William H. Seales||M||19||son||✓||At home||Tenn||Tenn||Tenn|
|Anderson Seales||M||16||son||✓||At home||Tenn||Tenn||Tenn|
|Moses S. Seales||M||13||son||✓||At home||Tenn||Tenn||Tenn|
|James W. Seales||M||28||son||✓||Works on farm||Tenn||Tenn||Tenn|
James W. Seal's second wife was Delaney (Laney) Jane Sulfridge who was born on July 13, 1859 in Claiborne Co., Tenn. She was the daughter of Lucenia Mullins and Jake Shultz. She had previously married David Sulfridge on Dec. 24, 1874 in Claiborne Co., Tenn., with whom she had at least one child, Arthur Sulfridge, born in Sept. 1877. Laney Jane Seal died in Claiborne Co., Tenn. on March 25, 1941. Children of James W. and Laney Seal were:
- Maude Seal, b. Feb. 1887, m. Pleasant Seal, d. Jan. 9, 1925 in Claiborne Co., Tenn. (see death certificate)
- Orvil Seal, b. July 1889, m. Eppie Rowe, d. April 18, 1955 in Claiborne Co., Tenn. (see death certificate)
- George W. Seal, b. May 1892, m. Emily Meyers on March 24, 1912 in Claiborne Co., Tenn., d. Aug. 28, 1927 in Claiborne Co., Tenn. (see death certificate)
- Burl Seal, b. May 1892, m. Mary Dulcenia Elizabeth McAfee on March 9, 1941.
- Thomas Seal, b. 1895, m. Ora Cope.
- Heaston Seal, b. 1898, m. Laura Bull.
- Margaret Jane Seal, b. June 2, 1901 in Claiborne Co., Tenn., m. Milton Kasper Parker on July 4, 1919, d. Oct. 1, 1925 in Caryville, Tenn.
The 1900 census indicated that James W. and Laney Jane Seal were living in Claiborne Co., Tenn. with their six children, Grant Seal, son of James W. Seal and Emily Bird, and Laney Jane's son, Arthur Sulfridge and his wife and child. The enumerator must have been confused about the relationships because Arthur is listed as son-in-law to James W. Seal instead of stepson. Laney's name was spelled "Malanie" by the enumerator who also indicated the Seals had been married for 28 years. He was probably counting from the date of James W. Seal's first marriage to Emily Bird. In reality, James W. and Laney J. Seals had been married for fourteen years by 1900.
|Name||Relation||Sex||Date of Birth||Place of Birth||Profession||Read||Write|
|James W. Seals||Head||M||December 1851||Tennessee||Farmer||Yes||Yes|
|Malanie [Laney] J. Seals||Wife||F||July 1859||Tennessee||Yes||Yes|
|Grant E. Seals||Son||M||March 1882||Tennessee||Yes||Yes|
|Maud S. Seals||Daughter||F||February 1887||Tennessee||No||No|
|Arville[Orvil] Seals||Son||M||July 1889||Tennessee||No||No|
|George W. Seals||Son||M||May 1892||Tennessee|
|Burl H. Seals||Son||M||May 1892||Tennessee|
|Levi T. Seals||Son||M||April 1895||Tennessee|
|Heston B. Seals||Son||M||March 1898||Tennessee|
|Arthur Sulfrige||Son-in-Law||M||September 1877||Tennessee||Farm Laborer||Yes||Yes|
|Dora Sulfrige||S. Daughter||F||August 1879||Tennessee||Yes||Yes|
|Martha J. Sulfrige||G. Daughter||F||July 1898||Tennessee|
Margaret Jane Seals, daughter of James W. and Laney Seals was born in Claiborne Co., Tenn. on June 2, 1901. She married Milton K. Parker on July 4, 1919 in Tazewell, Tenn. Milton K. Parker was born on May 23, 1898 in Powell Valley, Tenn. Children of Margaret Jane Seals and M. K. Parker were all born in Tennessee:
- Warren G. Parker, b. Oct. 26, 1920 in Tazewell, Tenn., m. Kathleen Carmon.
- Esther Ruth Parker, b. Jan. 9, 1923 in Caryville, Tenn., m. Ralph Ellis Pruiett on July 10, 1943 in Cincinnati, Ohio, d. Nov. 8, 2006 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Charles Hubert Parker, b. Nov. 22, 1924 in Caryville, Tenn., m. Lucille Paquette.
Margaret Jane (Seals) Parker died an Oct. 1, 1925 in Caryville, Tenn. Milton K. Parker died on July 27, 1977 in Stanford, Ky.